Do you ever feel overwhelmed? Like there is too much to do with being a spouse, a parent, serving in ministry, being a leader, being a friend, a child, etc. You see all there is to do, but just can’t do it all on your own. God makes these seasons in our life to call us back to Him – because guess what? . . . We can’t do it on our own, we need Him. I found comfort in God’s word in a season in my life, where I felt just this way.
7 Steps from Jesus
In John 6:1-15 there is the story of Jesus feeding the five thousand. In that story there is a “formula” for what to do in life when we feel overwhelmed, when we see a crowd coming and just don’t feel like we can do it.
2. Don’t focus on what we don’t have – In verse 7 Philip pointed out what they didn’t have. Quickly Andrew changed the subject to what they did have. We need a community of believers to help keep our focus on the positive.
3. Give what we have to God – In verse 9 they gave the five small loaves and two small fish – small things, but in God’s hands can be big. We should surrender all we have to God our talents, our mind, our body, and our soul.
4. Be still – In verse 10 Jesus instructed the disciples to have the people sit down – take a break, prepare in mind and body to fully receive what the Lord is about to do. We should slow down and be still in His presence.
5. Give thanks – In verse 11 Jesus gave thanks to The Father for what they had. Give thanks for the small things in our life that God can use to perform a miracle.
6. Expect a miracle plus leftovers – In verse 12 they were all fed and there were even leftovers! Anticipate that God will provide abundantly more than we can imagine when you put your trust and faith in Him. I don’t know about you, but I’ll take a “doggie bag” from God.
7. Tell others – In verse 14 the people began to tell others about this miracle. Be sure to share what God has done in our lives with others. This is our testimony of God’s love.
Rejoice in the Leftovers
Now don’t get me wrong, our God is not a genie where as we do certain steps, we will get hat we want. However, our God is one that wants our whole hearts, to surrender to Him, and seek His guidance. As we seek his wisdom, what we ask for will align with His will. It is when we are in His will, that He will provide all that we need . . . plus leftovers! Next time you feel overwhelmed, be encouraged in His word.